Alumni Coliseum


Alumni Coliseum

McBrayer Arena

The Alumni Coliseum, built in 1963, featured what was then the largest roof of its kind, having a span of 308 feet and constructed from 626,276 board feet of lumber. The main arena, McBrayer Arena, is named for Paul S. McBrayer, an Anderson County native and member of the Kentucky Athletic Hall of Fame. As head coach of the EKU basketball team from 1946 to 1962 he compiled a record of 219 wins and 144 losses. The arena, home of the EKU varsity men's and women's basketball teams and the women's volleyball team, seats 6,500 for basketball games and approximately 8,000 for other programs. In addition to the main auditorium, the building contains four basketball courts, eight classrooms, twenty offices, an indoor and outdoor Olympic-size swimming pools, and many other multi-purpose facilities. The main office and some faculty offices for the Department of Mass Communications are located in the basement of the Alumni Coliseum.